The older I get, the more I want to travel. That feeling has been particularly overwhelming this year. While I would love it to just be Dave and I (every once in a while), I now am more and more of the thinking that I want the kids to come with us everywhere. I want them to see and do as much as humanly possible in their lifetimes.
Realistic? Probably not, but it’s what I’m feeling right now.
Dave is in Paris right now and for a while I was planning to go with him, but it just didn’t work out. I also didn’t plan on taking the kids so by the time I found out that it was all or nothing, we didn’t have enough time to plan a trip for all of us. As he sends his pictures of what he’s seeing and doing, my resolve to travel the world is fortified.
But the world is a big place so I should probably narrow my focus a little. In no particular order, here are ten trips I’d love to take as Family Vacations.
- Paris – Eiffel Tower. Do I need to say more? If I could just set up a tent under the Eiffel Tower for a week, I think I’d be happy.
- Anaheim – We need to see the West Coast Mouse House. This one is actually in the works for next year.
- Western USA driving tour – As much as I’m not a fan of driving really far distances, there are areas of the country that can only be accessed by car. I’d love to see so much out there that I think we’d need at least two weeks to get it all in.
- Italy (with a focus on Florence) – Art. Dave did an Italian tour several years ago and he said Florence was about the only place he’d like to go back to.
- Scotland – If it’s not Scottish it’s CRAP. My plan here is to just sit around all day and listen to the people talk.
- England – It doesn’t matter where. I think I’d like to see the whole country.
- Japan – I would love to go back there someday. Plus I think they’d get a kick out of two red-headed kids.
- Hawaii – It’s like a given that Hawaii be added to a travel list.
- Australia/New Zealand – It just makes sense considering how long it would take to get there that we do both of these in one fell swoop.
- Mediterranean Cruise – Honestly, if there’s a cruise in existence, I want to take the kids on it. But this one in particular is on my list.
How about you? If you could take a family trip anywhere, where would it be?